BBC’s Ben Brown to host the in-person Kent Press and Broadcast Awards, after running online for two years due to the pandemic. Entries are now open to celebrate and reward regional journalism, with a category sponsored by Digitom.
Published: February 2022
Born and bred in Kent, award-winning journalist Ben is a familiar face on the BBC News Channel, the BBC One O’Clock News and weekend news bulletins. He will be hosting the event, which is designed to celebrate and reward local journalism, at The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence, Canterbury on Friday 15 July.
The not-for-profit awards are organised by Tunbridge Wells-based PR and marketing agency Maxim. Director Rachel Knight said: “It’s been a tough couple of years for everyone and while we were pleased to be able to keep the Kent Press & Broadcast Awards (KPBA) going with virtual ceremonies, we can’t wait to get back in a room with everyone to celebrate Kent’s media.”
Rachel continued: “This year we have more categories than ever so hopefully there is something for everyone. KPBA remains free to enter and every finalist is invited to attend the ceremony free of charge, thanks to our very generous sponsors.”
This year also sees two new experts join the independent judging panel in the form of Sky News radio journalist Kiran Bhangal and deputy news editor for Metro.co.uk Sian Elvin, alongside Rebecca Smith, former senior editor for Kent Regional News and Media; Leo Whitlock, a local newspaper journalist for more than 20 years, much of which was spent at the KM Media Group; Susie Boniface, a national journalist known as Fleet Street Fox; digital consultant Patrick Fuller; and journalist and lecturer Dr Sarah Lonsdale.
Tom Chown, Founder and Creative Director at Digitom said: “I’m glad we can support the awards for the 8th year in a row, and we’re especially pleased this year we can celebrate together in-person.”
Kent Press & Broadcast Awards 2022 categories:
- Kent Broadcast Journalist of the Year, sponsored by Eurotunnel
- Kent Columnist of the Year, sponsored by Kent Invicta Chamber of Commerce
- Kent Design(er) of the Year
- Best Use of Digital Media, sponsored by Discovery Park
- Kent Feature Journalist of the Year (Broadcast), sponsored by Digitom
- Kent Feature Journalist of the Year (Print), sponsored by MHS MacIntyre Hudson
- Kent Magazine of the Year
- Kent New Journalist of the Year, sponsored by EKC Group
- Kent News Website of the Year, sponsored by Port of Dover
- Kent Newspaper of the Year, sponsored by Southeastern
- Kent Photographer of the Year
- Kent Print & Online Journalist of the Year, sponsored by Ashford Designer Outlet
- Kent Programme of the Year, sponsored by NIAB
- Kent Scoop of the Year, sponsored by Panattoni
- The Neil Bell Kent Sports Journalist of the Year, supported by Kent Cricket
- Kent Voices Award, sponsored by BAE Systems