BBC newsreader Simon McCoy is to host this year’s Kent Press and Broadcast Awards ceremony. Entries are now open to celebrate and reward regional and local journalism, with a category sponsored by Digitom for the fourth year in a row.
Known for his dry wit and eye rolls, Simon will be taking a break from presenting Afternoon Live on the BBC News channel to host the KPBA ceremony at The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence, Canterbury on Friday, July 13.
Simon McCoy said: “In an age of ‘fake’ news, when you see that local newspapers feature on the CV of any applicant, from a journalistic point of view you know they’re a cut above the rest. I’d go as far as to say that I believe the Grenfell fire may never have happened if there had been a decent independent local newspaper – but as we now know, all the papers in the area were owned by the council. Never underestimate the difference that good local journalism can make to the people it represents.”
The not-for-profit awards are organised by Tunbridge Wells based PR and marketing agency Maxim, Account Director Rachel Knight commented “We’ve made a few changes including expanding the independent judging panel and introducing new categories. To recognise the many journalists at the beginning of their careers, we have introduced Kent New Journalist of the Year for those in their first 12 months of work.”
The 15 categories will be judged by a panel of independent experts and a shortlist announced in May.
Tom Chown, Founder and Creative Director at Digitom said: “We have a particular interest in audio and visual storytelling and are looking forward to seeing which of the county’s TV, radio or internet broadcasters triumphs in the Programme of the Year category.”
Kent Press & Broadcast Awards 2018 categories:
- Kent Newspaper of the Year, sponsored by Southeastern
- Kent Photographer of the Year, sponsored by Clive Emson Auctioneers
- Kent Feature Journalist of the Year, sponsored by Saga
- Kent Sports Journalist of the Year, supported by Kent Cricket
- Kent Designer of the Year
- Kent New Journalist of the Year, sponsored by EKC Group
- Programme of the Year, sponsored by Digitom
- Best Use of Social Media, sponsored by Eurotunnel
- Kent Magazine of the Year, sponsored by Shepherd Neame
- Kent Columnist of the Year, sponsored by Kent Invicta Chamber
- Kent Young Journalist of the Year, sponsored by Port of Dover
- Kent Print Journalist of the Year, sponsored by Benenden Hospital Trust
- Kent Broadcast Journalist of the Year, sponsored by Barretts
- Kent News Website of the Year
- Front Page of the Year
If you’re contemplating using video or animated content as part of your marketing strategy, get in touch.
We’d love to start a conversation with you.